“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”
― Alan Greenspan
How often this is true! Communication is based on a mutually understood language. Again, written, spoken or gestures, but how often to we realize that although we speak the same language we don't understand a word that was said.
Listening is important. What is listening? To listen, you must put aside ego and let your defenses down. You have to be in the moment. So many times we listen and are composing in our heads our response to what we are hearing, not what was meant, but what we heard.
Think about trying to sing while someone is telling you the words to the next line. Sure, you get some of it, but the melody suffers along with the rhythm. You lose the meaning of the song.
Try an experiment, the next time someone talks to you. Make you mind blank and look them in the eyes and watch what they are saying.
Let me know how it works!
No comments:
Post a Comment